Sunday, September 28, 2008

Sweet Moments

As many of my close friends and family know, it is not hard for me to be overwhelmed by the spirit. And today was no exception. Our ward had their Primary Sacrament Meeting Presentation. I had many tender feelings during our meeting as I sat their in utter amazement of these sweet children and their innocence. The tender feelings continued as the day went on. I would like to share some of the things that I loved about today...

I loved how this was probably the smallest primary I have ever seen, but by far the loudest! It is not a really small primary compared to what most people know, it is just small compared to what we are used to. There are only about 80 kids. But, WOW... Did they ever SING! The children were not yelling, just singing loudly with all of their hearts.

I love that my parents and sister drove 20 minutes to see my kids and listen to the program. We are so lucky to have them nearby and that they show their love and support for us on a constant basis.

I love that my children were ecstatic to be a part of the program. They were both beaming with the opportunity to show us and my parents all that they had learned. I know some kids are embarrassed or not interested in being in their programs. But mine couldn't have been more excited. I am very thankful for that.

I love that I started crying when the congregation sang an intermediate hymn as the kids got in their positions to begin the program. We sang "Dearest Children God is Near You". The spirit bore witness to me that that statement was true... especially at that moment. As the children started walking in while singing "I am a Child of God", the tears flowed and pretty much never stopped.

I love that my kids both spoke their parts perfectly and with conviction. As if they really knew that what they were saying was true.

I loved watching a sweet family in our ward... I witnessed an adult daughter with special needs lay her head on her father's shoulder as if to say "I love you". He proceeded to lay his head back on her to show his never-ending love. They sat that way only for a brief moment, but it was profoundly touching.

I loved watching my mother sing every hymn word-for-word with no hymn book in-hand. It is something that I have noticed since I was a little girl. She seems to know every word of every song... even the ones I have never heard of.

I love that our Bishop got emotional as he spoke for a few minutes about the sweet innocence of these children. I learned that I should strive for that sweet innocence of youth instead of spending my time focusing on things that don't matter in life.

I love how Spencer slept in my arms through the entire Relief Society lesson. I got to listen intently for the first time in a long time. The lesson was simple yet profound. I learned about how I need to open my heart more to the Lord to become stronger and let him shape me into the person that he knows I can be. "Be Thou Humble" was my personal resolution.

Finally, I love that I have been blessed once again with the overwhelming feeling of love for all of my children. What a tremendous calling has been bestowed upon me as their mother! I have a fervent desire to cherish every moment of their lives. I was given a renewed sense of strength to be the kind of mother that I know I can and want to be.

I hope I can remember these feelings during the days and weeks to come. I hope that I can try a little harder and enjoy the journey a little more!! What a blessing this day has been!!

5 comments:

Lindsey said...

You are an inspiration. Thanks for that recap. I'll have to remember my stewardship with my daughter and how precious each moment is.

I have to tease you a bit about your comment on a "small" primary. Seriously?! There were TEN kids singing in our ward's last presentation, and we were happy to have so many. I'm not kidding. What ward/area are you used to that has more than 80 kids? I know you're in Mesa, but still!

Cedar said...

Funny, our ward has about 80 kids in all, not all come. But is does seem so small compared to what we are used to!!
You are so good with words and expressing yourself, thats 1 talent I lack and hope to have one day! Thanks for sharing such sweet words! I miss ya!

Robyn said...

Wow! You truly have a beautiful family and beautiful heart. Your entry is a perfect example of being grateful in all things. Thanks for sharing...
Robyn (Nevin)

Clarissa B. said...

Why Hello! Im so glad I found your blog, and I'm also glad that you shared these experiences. I am in the Primary Presidency in my ward and I am in charge of the whole primary program! After reading that you loved yours so much I hope that ours turns out the same! And it makes me feel better about all the hard work that I have done. (Even though your not in my ward and your program has nothing to do with mine it some how made me feel better to know that parents actually appreciate it) So thanks! Hope all is well!

Deanne said...

Mare, I it never ceases to amaze me the wonder that is your happy view on life! I am so blessed and happy to learn from you so often, I love you! Dee

PS. totally bawling