As many of you probably did, I received a disturbing email today. It outlined pictures and material defaming the sacred temple ordinances of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, that are soon to be expounded on and aired on HBO. I hold these truths dear that are about to be mocked on the show "Big-Love". (which I had never heard of until today) The email called for action... with a link to HBO, the email asked for anyone and everyone to voice their opinion and distaste for this show and its content. My initial reaction was to write the station and voice my angry feelings in hopes that somehow they would decide not to air this blasphemous show. But, I didn't feel entirely comfortable writing the angry thoughts I was feeling, so I tried to let it go and went about my day. I received a similar email again, later in the day that stirred up the negative feelings and worry once more.
This story has a happy ending... This evening, I found this link on a friend's blog
http://www.newsroom.lds.org/ldsnewsroom/eng/commentary/the-publicity-dilemma
The church has published their view on this situation and this article brought me much comfort. I understand now why I didn't feel comfortable writing that angry email to HBO. I hope anyone who has experienced similar feelings to mine today will read this and understand what it is that the church has asked us to do.
Also, I would like to quote the words of our beloved Joseph Smith...
“The Standard of Truth has been erected; no unhallowed hand can stop the work from progressing; persecutions may rage, mobs may combine, armies may assemble, calumny may defame, but the truth of God will go forth boldly, nobly, and independent, till it has penetrated every continent, visited every clime, swept every country, and sounded in every ear, till the purposes of God shall be accomplished, and the Great Jehovah shall say the work is done” (History of the Church, 4:540)
Lastly, I would like to quote my friend's bishop...
"Surely this is a time in which calumny defames. However, we remain confident in the divinity of this work. The teachings of the Savior inspire us to respond to attacks with forgiveness. Our best defense against controversy is silence."
Monday, March 9, 2009
"The TRUTH of God Will Go Forth"
Posted by Marianne at 9:59 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
What a compliment Marianne! I got the same e-mail about writing to HBO then the very next one in my inbox was from my bishop. Crazy how things like that happen. I definitely think there is a time and a place where we need to stand up for ourselves and voice our opinion... but there are also definitely times where silence is the best response. Thanks so much for the compliment.
I hope all is going well and that this pregnacy is treating you better than I know the others have... What doctor are you going to anyway?? I was so sad to find out Prochnicki wasnt delivering anymore. Good luck with everything, we love you guys!
Thanks so much for this link! I haven't received the e-mails this time, but I did when the show first came out. It's pretty sad that they'll intentionally portray things they know are sacred to us, but I know they'll be held accountable for it some day.
That article was very peaceful and reminded me that even the Savior stood silent when he was getting judged in courts on the last day of His life. If he can be silent and calm in the face of persecution, I should try a little harder.
I saw your blog thru another blog regarding this matter. I want to let you know that I am LDS and have been a member of the church my whole life. And I have to say that I love the show Big Love. I love the show for many reasons. My in laws like in Hurricane UT, about 30 minutes from Colorado City. I see polygamist people in and out of Hurricane. I find them fascinating in one way or another. I think they are wrong however I am drawn to them and curious to their lifestyle. I have watched this show with my husband for a few years. And I have to say that I have not been offended at all. I don't watch this show to gain light on my religion, I think it's funny to see how it is portrayed. Obviously we hold the things that are done in the temple to be sacred. However, that sacredness is focused on what the ceremonies themselves means to us as we perform them and the inherent necessity required by them in order to assist those who have passed on with out having them performed. Indeed this is sacred and should not be mocked. I think people are upset due to a replica in the show however it is just that...a replica. It is the meaning behind those things within the temple and during the ceremony that are truly sacred. Besides, anyone who knows his way around the internet can find actual pictures of temple ordinances begin performed in the temple…no replica needed.
As weekly viewers my husband and I both know the show is outstanding in its portrayal of a fictional polygamist family living in Salt Lake City. The way the Church is interwoven into the framework of these storylines is both compelling and often necessary. Not once in my viewing of every single episode of this program in the last three years have I seen the church mocked or parodied untruthfully or unnecessarily in order to illicit controversy. In fact, I would say that the writers of show go to great lengths to distinguish the cultural and legal divide between the church and the Hendrickson family. I may be wrong but this is how I feel and wanted to share my thoughts to you.
Post a Comment