Mother's Day this year really made me reflect...
Anyone who knew me when I was little will remember that I wanted to be a mom from a very young age. It was always a dream of mine. If I was ever asked... "What do you want to be when you grow up?"... I would say "a mom" or "a kindergarten teacher" (the closest job to being a mom) However, being a mom is something you can't always plan or control. You have to follow certain steps... meet the right guy, get married, etc. So, since I couldn't plan those things, I spent my early adult life doing other good things. I got a job just a few days after I turned 16 and was never without a job until a few days before I had Chansey. I got good grades in school with the hopes of getting into college and being 'smart' and 'professional'. I went to college right out of high school and almost finished my degree. The only thing that stopped me was... you guessed it... becoming a mom! So, here's how the dream has come true...
Instead of helping random strangers solve their financial woes all day, I help my precious children solve their woes. Some of which include... dirty diapers, dirty clothes, scratches, bruises, broken toys, homework, new piano songs, fevers, coughs, sad days... the list goes on and on. Though frustrating at times, all of these situations give me practice at being a mom. When the woes are solved, even though temporarily at times, the fulfillment I get from my four happy faces by far surpasses that of all the random strangers!
As far as being 'smart' ... now this is where it gets tricky. When I had Chansey (my first) I thought I knew everything! Being a mom was so easy and having one baby was so busy. But, I sure thought I was 'smart'. Needless to say, over the last nine years I have realized that being 'smart' as a mother means you eventually realize that you don't really know anything at all! My four kids have taught me more than the thousands of hours of homework I have done over the years. And other inspiring people in my life including my own mother and lots of great sisters and friends have filled in some of the blanks. The gospel has also had a vital role in my learning to be a good mom. All in all, I am truly lying to my kids when I tell them "moms know everything". Maybe we are just 'smart' because we know where to look for the answers.
Being 'professional' has also taken on new meaning since I have been a mom. Some of my new definitions include... having my insurance card & shot records every time I go to the doctor, taking extra snacks, diapers, and a change of clothes when we run errands, having a clean kitchen, having a clean car, getting the kids to school on time, not getting angry at my kids in the grocery store, visiting teaching with well-behaved children, dressing and grooming my children well, teaching my kids how to be reverent in church... again... I could go on forever.
I guess the point of all of this reflection is simple... even though being a mother has really changed me in a lot of ways I couldn't be more grateful. I constantly pray for the strength and knowledge to be a good mom and I often fall short. By the end of the day I feel like I have run a marathon only to wake up to the starting line of a new one. But, I love every minute of it!! I am so thankful for my children and for the trust the Lord has put in me to watch them for him for a little while. I just hope they will love and respect me when they grow up as much as I love and respect my own mother. I hope they will look past my faults and shortcomings and see how much I truly love them and how amazing they are in their own individual ways.
Mother's Day this year was relaxing and wonderful. But, it wasn't full of fancy gifts or nights on the town. The best thing I got for Mother's Day was the realization that the last nine and half years has truly been a dream come true!!
Saturday, May 16, 2009
A Dream Come True
Posted by Marianne at 11:08 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I love you, aunt mare! Ithink you are a really great mom:)
This is a great reflection. I hope I have your clarity when I have four kids running around! I'll probably come back to this post and reread it just to remind myself of all the happy and positive things about being a mom.
Thanks!
How sweet, and perfectly said! "Mom knows everything"--I love that line, I'm gonna have to start using that one!!
Post a Comment