Sunday, December 21, 2008

Savory Houses?!

Last night Todd and I went to a Christmas Party at the home of some good friends of ours. The treats were yummy and the company was good. But I had a nagging question on my mind until we were well into the party. When we were invited, we were asked to bring a treat and a can of Easy Cheese. (Squeezable, sticky cheese in a can used as a condiment on snacks) So, the nagging question was... What in the world are we going to use the Easy Cheese for?! Well, the answer finally came... the processed cheese in a can was going to be used for a contest. A contest of unusual likeness... We were making 'savory houses'! Instead of gingerbread houses with candy and royal icing, we made 'savory houses' with saltine crackers and other salty treats such as goldfish crackers, cheeze-its, and pretzels. The Easy Cheese was, of course, the substitute for icing and held our creations together. I really wish I had my camera to take pictures of some of the structures that were made. The best ones were a manger scene and a Cape Cod bungalow.
This is a really fun idea for someone who wants a new, fun activity that doesn't involve sweets. And, it's not really too Christmas-esque so it can be done anytime of the year. Try it with your family and see what you come up with!!

2 comments:

♥Tami said...

What a fun idea! Too bad you didn't get a picture! I would have loved to see how they turned out.

The Williams Family said...

I DID'NT KNOW YOU HAD A BLOG!!!!I'm so glad I found you ...Cute picture of Spencer. Tucker has been missing Bella.