Sunday, December 21, 2008

" ... Seek ye out of the best books..."

The older I get, the more I realize that I still have a lot to learn. I often find myself relating well to a quote that my sister used to have on her wall. It goes something like this... "If I was sent to the earth to accomplish a certain number of things, at the rate I am going I will never die!" I constantly feel like there is more to do and more to learn and I wonder when I will find the time to get it all done.
One of the things I wish I had more time to do is study the scriptures. Besides the fact that reading in general is not a hobby of mine, I often let other tasks get in the way of the time I could be spending reading the scriptures. I often feel regretful about this and for that reason, I have never been one to read popular books for enjoyment. If I do find spare time, and feel like reading something, I choose the Ensign or the scriptures or maybe even the occasional self-help, educational book. A few of my favorites are "Seven Habits for Highly Effective People", "The Five Love Languages", and "Standing for Something". But, just recently I read a book that I would like to place at the top of my list of favorites. It is called "The Peacegiver". I was so deeply enlightened and touched by this book that I can't easily put it into words. As members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, we believe that our salvation comes only through true repentance... made possible by Christ and the Atonement that he made for us so that we can return to live with our Heavenly Father. This book explains these core beliefs of ours in such profound detail, that I couldn't help but want to be a better person after reading it. If we could all follow the counsel in this book, we would find a depth of happiness that we have never known before.
With all of the demands that life brings us on a daily basis, it is so easy to become overwhelmed and feel inadequate. But I believe the counsel that the Lord gave Joseph Smith in The Doctrine & Covenants can be a big help to us if we follow it "...seek ye out of the best books words of wisdom, seek learning even by study and also by faith." Inspired books of scripture, words from our church leaders, and other books that testify of Christ and his teachings are really tools that we have been given to make it through the difficulties that we face. "The Peacegiver" is no exception to this rule. For anyone who loves to "escape" into a book, I highly recommend this one! I hope you love it as much as I did.

1 comments:

Lana said...

Loved the Peacegiver! We read it for a book club about 2 years ago, and it's definitely one of those that I could read more than once to help refresh those feelings and stuff I learned! :) My favorite book of all time is "The Hiding Place", and it's one of those amazing life-changers. It's defintely worth your time.