Sunday, April 13, 2008

Happily Forever After!

I heard some wonderful advice last week so I wanted to share it with everyone. Let me give you a little background...

My best friend from my pre-marriage years, Kirsten, got married last Friday. She married an awesome guy here in the Mesa Temple. A week before her wedding, I had the opportunity to go through the Temple with her when she received her endowment. I was especially lucky because I was able to be her escort. This was quite an amazing experience... I felt the spirit so strong that day. I wish we had the opportunity to hear the counsel that I heard that day more often. It was more uplifting because I wasn't nervous or anxious like when I first went through. I won't share what I heard here, but I will say that I am very thankful for the opportunity that I have to attend the Temple. Going there truly makes me a better person and that is why I make it a habit to go often. (I really need to be a better person)

So the real point of this post is to share with everyone what I learned during the marriage ceremony. The person performing the sealing said something wonderful, yet simple. And I haven't been able to get it off my mind, so I thought I better make note... He paraphrased a talk given by Gordon B. Hinckley. In it, President Hinckley gave four steps to a wonderful marriage. Here's what they are...

1. Never Criticize Your Spouse
2. Never Go To Bed Angry
3. Pray Together
4. Keep The Courtship Alive
If all people everywhere could follow this advice to some degree, I am certain that the world be a better place! I hope I can use this information to become a better spouse and teach by example so that my children will do the same!

1 comments:

brownymama said...

Hey! So glad you posted on my blog! It's been years. That was great advice. Can't believe you have 4. You said you were done at 3! (: They're all so cute!