Wednesday, May 14, 2008

A Post A Day Keeps the Crazies Away!

I took this picture when we were at Eathan's baseball practice a couple of weeks ago. It was really windy, so I covered up Spencer's carseat with a blanket and I could hear him cooing and laughing, so I lifted up the blanket and this is what I found.



This picture was of Spencer playing on our bed. He was being so cute, I couldn't resist. Both pictures were taken with my cell phone, so the quality isn't great, but the face is!!


Sometimes,... between whining, disobedient children, constant housecleaning and laundry, and several weeks of sleepless nights... I do feel like I am going a little bit crazy. I can think of a lot of ways to find a repreive from this madness, but most of them either cost a lot of money or require me leave my children and waste time doing something that is not important. So, I decided that blogging will be my outlet this week. I am going to try to make an entry every day and record my thoughts and the things that have been going on in our lives. It makes me feel like I am talking to an adult and I can use my creative energy towards something that I will enjoy in the future.

So, today, my post is about Spencer. He is five months old now and cuter than a button! (see the pictures above :) When he was four months old, he only weighed 10 pounds. (I know, some of you have newborns that weight that much!) But, he had only gained two pounds since birth so the doctor was worried about him. He was diagnosed with "Failure to thrive" and since I had only nursed him up until that point, I was told to start supplementing high calorie formula to see if he could start gaining more weight. I was to visit the doctor again in 1 month to have his weight checked and if he hadn't gained enough, they would start trying to figure out why (YIKES!!) So, he had his 5 month appointment the other day and he gained a whopping 2 pounds!! Thus doubling his weight gain since birth... in one month!! So, the doctor was pleased and told me to keep doing whatever I was doing becuase apparently it was working. So, we'll keep getting his weight checked every month until he is back on a normal growth curve, but hopefully he will keep gaining and all will be well.

Along with that, the doctor said it was ok to start him on cereal. So, yesterday, he had rice cereal for the first time. I remember giving it to my other kids at this age and they spit and gagged for the first few times until they figured out how to gum it. Not Spencer,... he made a funny face with the first bite, but swallowed it right down and ate it all in no time!! I was so proud!! :) This should help him be more satisfied and hopefully start sleeping through the night.

I love this little guy! Even with their constant demands, babies really are a blessing and bring a peaceful spirit into our home. At the end of my rotten day yesterday, Spencer fell asleep cuddling with me on my bed... that moment made it all better! I could forget about the cares of the day and just enjoy the tender moment. We all need those.

0 comments: