Thursday, May 15, 2008

When We're Helping We're Happy!

For these first two pictures, Chansey didn't know I was taking them.


Then for that last one, she was on to me, so she had to smile for the camera!

My post today is about my 8 1/2 year old daughter, Chansey. I haven't talked about Chansey much on my blog, I'm not sure why. She does plenty of things that are noteworthy, I guess I am just now learning to be good at documenting those things. Well, I took these pictures of her on Saturday. We came home from Eathan's baseball game and the kids needed something to do. Todd graciously tended to Spencer (which ended up that they both fell asleep :) while I figured out how to keep the other three kids entertained. So, I decided we were going to clean the house!!! (Exciting,... I know) We started by cleaning bedrooms (including de-junking the closets) then moved on to the playroom, living room, and family room. When I say clean, I mean CLEAN! And my kids know it. So, they worked really hard. They are good at organizing everything and putting things where they belong. They are usually pretty thorough too, not leaving things half-done.

So, when all of that was complete, it was time to eat lunch and finish the kitchen which I had been working on here and there most of the morning. Eathan was pretty sick of cleaning, which was understandable. So, he kept Bella occupied while Chansey and I finished up in the kitchen after lunch. Chansey excitedly offered to do the dishes, so I let her. She was standing at the sink and said "Mom, this is so much fun, I love doing the dishes!" So, this is the reason why she is the subject of my post today...

This situation was just another reminder to me of how lucky I am to have Chansey around. She is so helpful and I really would lose my mind if it weren't for her sometimes. She changes diapers, cleans (with a smile), plays with the kids so I can get things done, packs the diaper bag when we are going somewhere, helps with dinner, puts laundry away, feeds Spencer, and puts Bella to sleep most nights. And, she usually does any and all of these things as soon as she is asked and with a smile on her face. She is also very loving and tender and she shows me that love at just the right moments when I really need it. She still likes to hold my hand and hug me and cuddle with me at night. Chansey is also at the age where we have to talk about some complicated issues. She is very understanding and mature when it comes to things like how to make the best choice all the time and how to choose friends that make you feel good about yourself. I really appreciate Chansey's desire to do things that other kids her age think they are too "grown-up" for like watching shows that Bella likes, singing kid-songs in the car, and wearing bows in her hair. Kids grow up too fast, I am not anxious for her to grow out of these endearing traits. She also loves to play. She'll play with her little brother and sister just as well as she plays with her friends at school.

Now, I realize that Chansey is not perfect... there are moments of difficulty with her just like with any other child. But, I take comfort in knowing that, with her, these difficult moments are short-lived. We usually get past them very easily and she forgets and goes back to being her happy self.

I hope someday Chansey reads this and knows that I love her very much. I am sure she knows that she helps me a lot and that is why she is always so happy. I know I am happy when I am serving others. I am sure Heavenly Father knew that I would need help to get through this time in my life and that is why he has blessed my with a wonderful daughter like Chansey. I really wouldn't be able to get through most days without her.

0 comments: