On Thursday night we had the great pleasure of attending our kids' school music programs. Chansey and Eathan were in seperate programs because they are in different grades, so we got to watch both. At first, we wondered how we were going to sit through two, fourty minute programs with both of our little ones, but it ended up turning out great (thanks in no small part to my mom and dad :) We were so glad we went because the message was wonderful! They were patriotic themed programs where the kids learned various patriotic songs and poems and learned how to play various musical instruments. Some of the songs they sang were America the Beautiful, Yankee Doodle, The Star Spangled Banner, I am Proud to be an American, and God Bless the USA. The older kids even dressed up like some famous people from U.S history with amazing costumes and then read poems that they wrote. The first graders memorized a song with all of the states and their capitals, and the third grade memorized a song called "Fifty, Nifty United States" where they had to learn all fifty states in alphabetical order. I remember learning that song when I was little, so it was fun to hear Chansey sing it. The most touching part of the program though was when the 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th graders paid tribute to all of the people who have served or do serve in the armed forces. They learned a song for each... the Army, Navy, Coast Guard, Marines, and U.S. Airforce. Then they sang them and asked the members of the audience to stand if they had served or were serving in the branch of the military for which they were singing. It was very touching as a lot of people stood and sang right along with the kids. I really lost it though when my own dad stood up... I had forgotten that he served in the army, so when I looked over and he was standing and singing along, I couldn't hold back the tears!
Anyway, suffice it to say that I am so thankful that my children (and I) were able to participate in this! I am thankful that they go to a school that is not afraid to salute our flag and honor our country and proudly sing... I am Proud to be an American!! Children need to be proud of their country and the people who have risked their lives to help protect it!! And, I am proud to live in "...the land of the free and the home of the brave...!!"

1 comments:
Amen. I love to be an American as well. I think that patriotism is never over-rated and we should all stand up for our freedom and all those who have willing served our great country in the fight for freedom and our right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.
Post a Comment