I just wanted to record some of my thoughts that I have had lately regarding my sweet daughter Bella. She has officially been two for about two and half months. She really is sweet and cute most of the time, but lately has been throwing some serious tantrums. I don't remember this happening with my other kids until they were closer to three. The old cliche is "terrible twos" but I had always experienced the phenomenon of "terrible threes" so Bella's recent tyrades threw me for a loop.
Anyway, after struggling with her during these undesirable moments I realized that the problem really usually begins with me. I tend to be somewhat of a control freak sometimes... if she doesn't want to do things my way, I get strong-willed and try to impose my will. Though this is a good plan when it comes to matters of importance, I have come to realize that with Bella, this isn't always a good plan. If I exercise more patience and let her learn and grow her way, the fights do not usually occur. Don't misunderstand... no means no, so if I say it I have to stick by it or she will never understand. But the key is... saying "no" less often. I have to slow down and let her be independent even if it is not convenient for me. Now, this doesn't mean that she can play in my makeup anytime she wants, or drink out of the toilet,... there are things that are obviously fobidden. However, putting her shoes on the wrong feet, sleeping on the floor with my pillow, buckling her own seatbelt, or wearing a pink bow with a green shirt are things that I will one day wish were my biggest worries!!
Monday, May 5, 2008
Terrible Twos,... or Terrible Tyrant?!
Posted by Marianne at 10:51 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
You are so funny.
Post a Comment