Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Spiritually Minded

The last few weeks of my life have been sort of an emotional roller-coaster. I'll spare you the details and just say that there has been a lot going on and I have been searching for answers and hungering for the Lord's spirit to be with me. No tragic event has occurred, nothing has "gone wrong", I have just needed to look harder and search more to know that I am doing what the Lord wants me to. So, I just wanted to record a couple of epiphanies I have had, or even more, a couple of answers I have recieved...
`
Last Sunday, I filled in for a dear friend of mine and taught the Gospel Doctrine class in our ward. For those of you that know me well, you understand how FIRED UP I was to do this! (For those of you who don't know me well, you probably don't believe that :) Anyway, I absolutely love to teach and I was so thankful for the opportunity. I am a primary teacher also, so I do get to teach every Sunday. And I love it! But, I found a new satisfaction in learning deeper doctrine and getting to talk to adults. I prayed and studied so hard and I felt the spirit so strong. The reason why I am sharing this is because of what I learned... I should live every day of my life with this same zeal and yearning. I should pray and study everday just like I did when I felt the pressure to teach my peers. I have resolved to use this same fervency in planning my primary lessons... in fact who needs to be lead and taught by the spirit more than our sweet children. In all reality, I am a teacher everyday in my own home. I should pray and study everyday to continue to learn the things that I need to be teaching my own children. They have a fierce battle to fight in this world and it is my job to train them for battle...

This thought leads me to another answer that came to me in a wonderful way... Part of my struggle lately has been that I have felt a little overwhelmed when it comes to disicpling my children. Maybe it is because they are all home all day, or because I have a lot going on and have let them get away with more than I should... I don't know. All I know is that I want to be a nice mom and not be upset and/or irritated so often. I love my children more than words can say and I want to show that love always, even through the difficult moments. My sister-in-law led me to a blog of a family who recently lost a child. The inspiring, spiritual words of the mother of this child really hit home to me as I read them...


"Love your little ones--even the ones that drive you crazy. If you could

see them the way God sees them -- you would be astounded at their glory."


...enough said.


The other realization I have recently had is that I know that Heavenly Father knows me and has placed opportunities in my path that have helped take me where he wants me to go. I see his hand in my life guiding me and I am so thankful. We can only get through this life with all of its trials by understanding this simple doctrine. We all have a different lot... some may seem harder than others. But through it all, the Lord never leaves us. He is always there waiting for us to seek him and use what he has given us to return back to him. I am so thankful for this knowledge.

4 comments:

♥Tami said...

I love this! Thanks for sharing!

laurie said...

Very inspiring, thanks!

Lindsey said...

I'm glad nothing tragic has happened. Thank you for sharing your testimony like this. I don't get this personal on my blog, but it makes me think that maybe I should. The Gospel is honestly the single most important thing in my life, but I don't share that nearly as often as I should. You're an inspiration. Truly.

Aften said...

Thank you so much for documenting those feelings...I must say that I agree with you 100% and I have been pondering the same things in my own life and it truly is simple if we allow it to be...just do what we know the Lord wants us to do and learn and teach to our own capacity.